Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Little Boy, His Boots & No Hernia!

Last Thursday we noticed JohnMichael had a ping-pong size lump in the groan area. Since he is constantly running around naked we knew it had not been there long. We immediately called and got him into our Doctor at his first available time which was at 2:50. By 3:15 we had been seen and were on our way to a surgeon in Waterloo. I was still composed at this point but also realizing surgery was more likely than not -- what I was not prepared for was the fact that it would happen that evening. Within 10 minutes of checking in and meeting the surgeon we were off to Allen Hospital for you guest it ..... surgery. Chad had the other five at home and had already called Grandma Sam and the pizza man. He would be on his way just as soon as Grandma Sam arrived. We were checked in and given a room at Allen and off we went to pediatrics. I was still composed at this point but honestly things were going so fast I didn't even have time to think. I was trying to keep JohnMichael calm of which was no problem. He was the bell of the ball! Every stop we made he just chatted it up and wanted to pull down his pants and show off his owie. Which is great if you are in the doctors office not so great at the receptionist desk! We were all checked in and waiting for the transporter to take us down to surgery when he wanted to put back on his socks and cowboy boots! He was so adorable -- he took my hand and off we went in his gown and cowboy boots! I was so nervous and was recalling the last time I had been at Allen that I must have been in a cloud because I don't remember much of anything. I didn't realize it until a day later that the people Chad came in contact with while trying to find us commented on how cute and just down right adorable JohnMichael was! This little guy leaves such a smile on your heart without doing a thing! Once back in the surgery "loading zone" the nurses were great and I recalled one in particular, Jackie, that had been so great with Lorraine when she was there. She turned the prep into a game which not only distracted JohnMichael but calmed my nerves as well. I opted to have the IV started prior to going back to the surgery room and for that he did cry but it wasn't long and the happy juice was a flowing. He makes for a rather fun "loopy" three year old! Chad was waylaid a bit so it was just me as I waited ...... for what seemed like forever but in reality was just about 45 minutes. As it turns out JohnMichael did not have a hernia as first thought but rather a blood clot. It wasn't long and the nurses came after me --- when I heard him cry from the waiting room I knew it wouldn't be long. When he is upset, tired or scared there is not much one can do. He just needs his mamma! There is no better feeling than the one I had when they passed him to me and he snuggled in and the crying stopped. At that point we were both relieved and it wasn't more than a minute and Daddy had finally arrived which made the moment even better. We headed back to our room and it wasn't long before he perked up. Chad set off on a wild goose chase searching for m&m's --- the best dad in the world came back with not only m&m's but red licorice and bar-b-que cheddar potato chips! All JohnMichaels favorites --- he ate it all! We were discharged just about 11 and finally headed home. Friday and Saturday JohnMichael and I cuddled up and slept the days away! He is feeling much better and is all smiles and off and running without despair.

Thank you to all the medical staff for all that you did! We could not have had a better team.




2 comments:

erin said...

poor angel
glad he made it through great
this brought tears to my eyes
as i remembered james's first ambulance ride to iowa city
i was going to school to finish my degreee: it was midterms and james was in the hospital
i went to class (had a test ) and i trusted the nurses i got called out of class flew back to allen( yes chad several speed laws were broken) and they rushed james and i off to iowa city for emergency surgery to remove an absess from his throat.
aside from him breaking his arm and him being born six weeks early this was one of the scariest times in my life with him.
i paced the waiting room with mom and the second they let me into recovery i swooped him in my arms and hugged him tight
am so glad you guys were at allen my favorite hospital ( i used to voluteer on peds when i was in high school.
am so glad he come through safe and sound
i love you guys
hug my angel tight for me and kiss him
tell him i am praying for him
luv ya lots
mommy erin :)

erin said...

keep your eye on the mailbox
something special for the wee one cometh
mommy erin:)
p.s grandma linda sends her love and prayers also